Office 365 installs the latest release of Office (currently Office 2016/Office 2016 for Mac). The software is intended for use on unmanaged devices (personally-owned or UCB-owned).
- I have Office 2016 installed. Do I need to uninstall the old version before I install the O365 version of Office?
- Can I keep old versions of Office installed?
- I have a computer that will not be on the network. Can I use O365?
- When I click on my MS account I am not taken to the UC Berkeley Authentication page (Step #3 in the install guide).
- Authentication fails when signing in to the UCB login page (ADFS).
- I receive the error "Stop, you should wait...:
- I receive an error “We found a problem!”
- On how many machines can I install Office using O365?
- I received an “Install limit reached’ error message. How do I install on a 6th device?
- How do I find my Office applications in Windows 10, Windows 8, or Windows 7?
- I receive "Your account <username>@berkeley.edu doesn't allow editing on a Mac.
The version of Office installed through O365 is Office ProPlus 2016, or Office ProPlus 2016 for Mac. If you already have a version of Office 2016 installed it is recommended that you do not switch to O365 unless you have need of a feature that is only available through O365. If that need does exist then the currently installed instance of Office 2016 should be fully uninstalled before installing O365.
You do not need to uninstall older (pre-Office 2016) versions of Office prior to installing Office ProPlus2016. However, the msi version of Office 2016 cannot be installed concurrently with the Click-to-run version of Office 2016.To determine your version see determining-your-office-version-msi-vs-c2r
No, O365 requires that the computer connect to the internet at least once every 31 days. If the computer is offline for more than 31 days the computer will enter “reduced functionality mode.” To get Office fully functional again, usually a user can simply connect to the Internet and let the Activation and Validation Service reactivate the installation.
Your MS account may not be associated with your UCB account. Click on the 3 dots in the upper right of the MS account and select “Sign out and Forget”. Enter your @berkeley.edu e-mail address and click Sign In (you should not need to enter a password).
The O365 authentication uses Calnet, and Calnet pulls its information from 2 locations. Occasionally, the data on the two sources gets out of sync. To re-sync the data run the Calnet passphrase sync tool at
Please note that the syncronization may take up to 24 hours to complete.
Each eligible person may install Office 365 on up to 5 devices: mac, pc, tablet and/or mobile devices.
Select the "Use another account" option at sign in, then enter your account credentials.